I was elected Treasurer of the Law Society of Upper Canada by my bencher colleagues in June 2014. I seek your support to continue to lead Convocation in the public interest.
It has been a privilege to serve the profession as Treasurer and bencher.
I have served as a bencher across our mandate:
- Member, Hearing Appeal Panel
- Member, Governance Task Force, which developed term limits
- Member, Access to Justice Committee
- Chair, Equity and Aboriginal Issues Committee
- Member, Retention of Women in Private Practice Project
- Member, Challenges for Racialized Licensees Working Group
- Chair, Inter-jurisdictional Mobility Committee
- Chair, Professional Development and Competence Committee, introducing Pathways, a pilot Law Practice Program – an alternative and enhancement of the articling requirement
- Co-Chair, Mentoring Working Group
As Treasurer, I have endeavoured to provide strong leadership that is inclusive, consultative and collaborative both at Convocation and within the profession. Self-governance of the legal profession is fundamental and our initiatives must be considered and principled.
We need progressive initiatives to maintain and enhance competence of our members, to improve equity in the profession and access to justice for the public, particularly in rural and remote areas and amongst linguistic communities. It is critical to strengthen our aboriginal engagement.
We must maintain public confidence in our regulatory system. We have commenced a dialogue with the profession about alternate business structures. My priority is to ensure that any Convocation decision assesses whether there are benefits to the profession, the public and importantly, whether we can regulate to meet high standards of integrity and professionalism.
My opportunities to meet lawyers in every region of the province have been energizing, reinforcing my belief that the best initiatives are based on consultation. One size does not fit all.
I ask for your support so that I may continue to bring leadership, experience, energy and enthusiasm to the important work of Convocation.